This form may be submitted by admitted undergraduate students to petition for a transfer course to fulfill UNCG General Education Core requirements (GEC). The form has two different methods of dissemination to address different transfer credit concerns. Please reference the table below to determine the best petition submission method for your situation:
|Submit online form||Submit printed form with course syllabus||Contact academic department for petition procedures|
|Course transferred as an elective that I am now seeking to satisfy…|
|General Education Core requirement|
|General Education Core marker: GL and/or GN|
|General Education Core marker: WI and/or SI|
|Course transferred from a North Carolina Community College, but I am seeking different credit from what appears on UNCG’s list of NC Community College Transfer Equivalencies|
|Course transferred as an elective that I am now seeking to be modified to specific UNCG course credit|
|Course transferred as an inappropriate UNCG course|
To contact Transfer Articulation, call 336/334-5946 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Printed GEC Petition for Transfer Credit Form Instructions
- Download and print the GEC Petition for Transfer Credit Form.
- Follow directions on the form.
- Deliver (or mail) completed form and syllabus to UNCG’s University Registrar’s Office (URO). After receiving your petition form, the URO will review the course and notify you of a decision via e-mail.
Online GEC Petition for Transfer Credit Form Instructions
- All fields marked with an asterisk must be completed.
- Provide a link to the other institution’s online course catalog in the “Course Descriptions and Other Comments” field, preferably the pages that either describe the course or otherwise support your petition.
- After receiving your petition form, the URO will review the course and notify you of a decision via e-mail.
Criteria for Denials
Transfer students may encounter situations where courses taken at other institutions satisfy requirements there, but fail to meet UNCG General Education Core requirements. Important considerations weigh into petition decisions, namely that decisions adhere to university policy and the philosophy of UNCG’s General Education Program. There are three main reasons why a petition submitted to the University Registrar’s Office is denied:
- Course credit sought is not consistent with an equivalent course in the UNCG Undergraduate Bulletin. For example, a petition for an introductory fiction writing course to satisfy a Literature
(GLT) requirement would be denied because UNCG’s ENG 225: Writing of Fiction is not marked
to satisfy that GEC requirement.
- GEC credit sought is not awarded by a corresponding UNCG academic department. For example, Biology courses cannot satisfy a Physical Science (GPS) requirement for a major in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Courses transferring from a North Carolina community college has already been evaluated by UNCG’s academic departments and equivalencies determined. Deviation from the established list of North Carolina Community College Transfer Equivalencies will require departmental approval.
These reasons will be cited in correspondence from the University Registrar’s Office if they pertain to your petition.